What is Volunteering?
Firstly let’s understand what it is really to volunteer to work or do something for someone. Volunteering is spending your time willingly to help others without being paid. It can be formal or informal. If it’s Informal volunteering it will include helping friends and family with things like babysitting, home repairs or caring while Formal volunteering usually takes place through a charity or other not-for-profit or community organisation.
Using your time or skills to give back to charitable organizations in your community can be an extremely rewarding experience. Volunteering gives you the opportunity to make an impact on the lives of others, whether directly or indirectly
On the other hand, the most common issues and challenges for volunteering include being overworked, undervalued and stressed. If your organisation is facing a high turnover rate, it might be time to conduct a volunteer survey to identify any common themes or issues and begin fixing them.
So do you want to volunteer? Inspite of the challenges we think you can do it with clear focus on self improvement.
Let’s start with the good stuff.
- Volunteering is a great way to meet new people and build healthy relationships. It strengthens your ties to the community and exposes you to people with similar interests.Volunteering also gives you the opportunity to practise and develop your social skills. Because volunteering keeps you in regular contact with others, it can also help you develop a solid support base.
- You can learn a lot through volunteering as you explore the different aspects of your job.
- Volunteering can help you mature in character as you help others achieve their goals.
- You will acquire a better impression of what you want to do with your life.
- Usually lower stress levels compared to a normal job since volunteer placements let you work less than a usual job.
-You have lots of opportunities to volunteer abroad which let’s you travel and visit new places.
- It Can help to reduce the labor shortage in some professions while giving the employers free labor services.
- You can learn empathy towards other people
- Volunteering can turn into a regular job after some time since most people will often be really grateful for your volunteering work
Let’s Flip the coin
As rewarding as being a volunteer can be, here are challenges you will learn to overcome.
Challenges will always happen in all spaces of work. It’s your duty to overcome them to achieve your desires and goals.
- You don’t earn money while volunteering and this may hinder your wealth creation. Remember that even rich people help with donating their money. So you may evaluate how to offer your services to organisations.
- Volunteering abroad can be expensive and it means you may also have to leave your partner at home leading to homesicknes.
- Dependence on volunteers is dangerous. They may quit, resign or show lack of commitment due to the lack of payment.
However, being a double edged sword, it is worthwhile to support the values you believe in through volunteering and donations when you have the money. People will appreciate it.
Live The Joy Life!